Class notes June 2019
Roger Nicholson, Ph.D. (B.S.'68/H&S; Ph.D.'97/E), retired in 2013 after 40 years as a Presbyterian minister.
Barbara Payton (B.S.’83/MC) received the staff award for VCU’s 2019 annual Presidential Awards for Community Multicultural Enrichment.
Jennifer Sedbrook (B.A.’86/H&S) published “A Healthier Vision for Women’s History Month” in The Pantagraph Magazine.
Stephen Neese (B.S.’82/H&S) celebrated a 10th anniversary reunion with his fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon, at Misty Mountain in Greenwood, Va. The group come from 11 states and from as far away as California and spends four days and three nights together celebrating and sharing about life events.
Mark Morton (B.A.’94/H&S), known for his work with heavy metal band “Lamb of God,” achieved his first Billboard-charting song as a solo artist, “Cross Off,” which features vocals from the late Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington.
Katherine Eichin* (B.S.'07/H&S) is studying to become a family nurse practitioner and is projected to graduate in May 2020.
Pamela Stallsmith (M.S.’17/MC) is opinions editor of the Richmond Times-Dispatch, and the first woman to serve in the position.
Christine Sloan Stoddard (B.A.’12/H&S; Cert.12’DVC), the founder of literary magazine Quail Bell, joined Gretchen Gales (B.A.’18/H&S; M.T.’18/E), Ren Martinez (B.A.’10/H&S) and Christopher Sloce (B.A.’14/H&S) to read on the theme “Everyday Magic” during the third annual RVA Lit Crawl event in Richmond, Va.
Alumni and faculty books
Racism and isolation
In “The Emancipation of Evan Walls,” the main character fears the birth of his first child because of his own memories of racism and isolation in the ‘60s. Blount’s (B.S.’81/MC) novel explores questions surrounding school integration and being caught between cultures. Through opening up about his experiences to his wife, Izzy, Evan finds an opportunity to heal from his traumatic life story and repair a dead spot that has lingered in his marriage.
Dale M. Brumfield
A former feature film director travels to Ethiopia’s Danakil Desert on the eve of the 1984 famine to make a documentary about a vanishing indigenous society. The project is supposed to be a redemption following a film set disaster, but In Brumfield’s (B.F.A.’82/A; M.F.A.’15/H&S) darkly surreal novel, “Naked Savages,” it sets off a series of unintended consequences that reveal a deeper reason for the journey.
Feminist poetry and photography
Christine Sloan Stoddard
Salvadoran-American writer and interdisciplinary artist Stoddard (B.A.’12/H&S; Cert.12’DVC) investigates issues surrounding women’s bodies and beings in “Belladonna Magic: Spells in the form of poetry and photography.” Founding editor of Quail Bell Magazine, Stoddard has published work in outlets including Ms. Magazine and Bustle. Here, she produces “an invitation and an offering” to the reader, connecting her photography and poetry in ways that leave space to include a reader’s personal exploration.
Relief for modern moms
As founder and CEO of The Mom Complex, a firm that helps companies develop products and services for mothers, Wintsch (M.S.’01/MC) thinks a lot about where moms most need relief. “Slay Like a Mother: How to Destroy What’s Holding You Back So You Can Live the Life You Want” takes aim at self-doubt, the exhausting cycle of trying to be “enough” and unhealthy expectations. In the process, Wintsch hopes to help moms enjoy the present and live more confidently.
- Hattie P. Meredith (B.S.’51/H&S), of Roanoke, Va., May 17, 2019.
- James E. Cobb (B.S.‘69/H&S), of Glen Allen, Va., Dec. 1, 2018
- Alice V. Crowder (B.A.‘69/H&S), of Glen Allen, Va., Sept. 8, 2018
- James S. Edmonson (B.A.’66/H&S; M.Ed.’73/E), of Henrico, Va., Aug. 30, 2018
- Virginia B. Grabbe (B.S.’69/H&S), of Orangevale, Calif., Jan. 26, 2019
- Asbury W. Hadder (B.S.’61/H&S), of Henrico, Va., May 1, 2019
- F.E. Johns (B.S.’62/MC), of Henrico, Va., May 8, 2019
- James Q. Marchant ( ‘69/H&S), of Midlothian, Va., May 9, 2019
- Esther M. Rose (B.S.’69/H&S), of Bristol, Va., March 16, 2019
- John T. Thios (M.S.’67/H&S), of Colonial Heights, Va., Oct. 11, 2018
- Carol S. Townes (B.S.’63/H&S), of Mechanicsville, Va., Oct. 28, 2018
- Robert M. Webb (B.S.’69/MC), of Chicago, Ill., Jan. 15, 2019
- Charles A. White (B.S.’69/H&S), of Sandston, Va., Nov. 4, 2018
- Mary A. Allen (B.A.’76/H&S), of Washington, Washington, D.C., Dec. 30, 2018
- Margaret P. Bemiss (B.S.’78/H&S), of Richmond, Va., Oct. 15, 2018
- Lenora M. Bradley (B.S.’79/H&S), of Richmond, Va., Jan. 21, 2019
- Lois B. Crane (B.S.’75/H&S), of Coronado, Calif., Dec. 8, 2018
- Frank W. Gibson (M.S.’71/H&S), of Towson, Md., Dec. 27, 2018
- Martha K. Lequeux (B.S.’77/H&S), of University Park, Md., Sept. 10, 2018
- Melanie L. North (B.S.’77/MC), of Pompton Lakes, N.J., May 12, 2019
- Patricia F. Nuckols (B.S.’78/H&S), of Largo, Fla., March 28, 2019
- Donald G. Ruecroft (B.S.’72/H&S), of North Chesterfield, Va., Dec. 27, 2018
- David M. Walrond* (B.S.’78/MC), of Troutville, Va., Feb. 18, 2019
- Elaine G. Walton (B.S.’74/H&S), of Pleasant Hill, N.C., Jan. 20, 2019
- Helen E. Wiggins (B.S.’72/H&S), of Shallotte, N.C., Nov. 1, 2018
- Fred H. Campbell (B.S.’82/H&S), of Richmond, Va., Aug. 29, 2018
- Amy A. Costello* (B.S.’88/H&S), of Manassas, Va., Sept. 4, 2018
- Virginia M. Dalton (B.G.S.’82/H&S), of Midlothian, Va., Feb. 2, 2019
- Gordon J. Gammon (B.S.’84/H&S), of Maidens, Va., Jan. 11, 2019
- Paul V. Jackson (B.S.’87/H&S; M.Ed.’08/E; M.D.‘91/M; H.S.’94/M), of Midlothian, Va., Dec. 28, 2018
- Erlyne M. Mangum (B.S.’89/H&S), of Glen Allen, Va., Feb. 9, 2019
- Margaret J. North (B.A.’87/H&S), of Henrico, Va., April 20, 2019
- Dale H. Singleton (B.A.’85/H&S), of Midlothian, Va., April 11, 2019
- Jean C. Bilhartz (M.I.S.’94/H&S), of Richmond, Va., Feb. 9, 2019
- Susan M. Booker* (B.A.’91/H&S), of Richmond, Va., Oct. 24, 2018
- Diane T. Flowers (M.I.S.’92/H&S), of South Chesterfield, Va., Feb. 10, 2019
- Anemarie L. Hess (M.S.’99/H&S), of Richmond, Va., Oct. 18, 2018
- Suzanne M. Magill (B.A.’96/H&S), of North Chesterfield, Va., Sept. 2, 2018
- Brenda R. Nash (B.G.S.’92/H&S), of Mechanicsville, Va., Jan. 1, 2019
- Michael J. Petro (B.S.’94/H&S), of Spotsylvania, Va., Jan. 31, 2019
- David A. Savedge (B.G.S.’92/H&S), of Midlothian, Va., Sept. 7, 2018
- Bernard Greene*(B.G.S.’00/H&S;M.S.W. ’04/SW), of Richmond, Va., March 7, 2019
- Jessica D. Holmstrom (B.S.’08/H&S), of Glen Allen, Va., Jan. 12, 2019
- Steven J. Depue (B.S.’10/H&S; B.S.’10/H&S), of North Chesterfield, Va., April 2019
- Malissa A. Grose (B.S.’13/H&S), of Yorktown, Va., Dec. 27, 2018
- Kathleen H. Holt (B.I.S. ’10/H&S), of Midlothian, Va., April 21, 2019
- Amber D. Lutz (B.S. ’10/H&S), of Westford, Mass., Feb. 15, 2019
* Life member of VCU Alumni